Visiting your dentist for a regular check-up and clean is essential for ensuring excellent oral health as well as good general well-being.
What to expect at the appointment:
We aim to be efficient and effective in our time with you. New patient check‑up and cleans take about 45 minutes to an hour from start to finish; this includes the check, the clean and a brief discussion at the end.
1. The check-up part.
- General health check: this is where we talk about any medical issues you may be managing such as high blood pressure or allergies.
- Soft tissue check: we thoroughly check your tongue, the insides of your cheeks and lips, the floor and roof of your mouth. This check is for any soft tissue infections, benign growths and is an oral cancer screen.
- Gum health check: we check your gums for signs of gingivitis, gum disease and sign of overbrushing.
- Teeth check: we look at every tooth for signs of decay, we test the integrity of fillings already in place and look for signs of cracking in the enamel. In assessing teeth, our overriding philosophy is conservative treatment in combination with regular check-ups.
- Orthodontic check: this is where we assess how the teeth are aligned and how the upper and lower teeth fit together. Our focus is any misalignment that directly impacts oral health (such as severe overcrowding that impedes the ability to clean the teeth effectively). In most cases, misaligned teeth do not impact on a patient’s oral health.
- X-Rays: when necessary at Cronulla Beach Dental we use digital radiographs to discover crucial information about your teeth and jaws. With them, we see early decay (which can be managed without fillings) as well conditions such as gum disease. We can also see your wisdom teeth – if you have them! Dental radiographs are safe and are generally taken every two years.
2. The cleaning part.
- Clean: we remove the hard bits of calculus (tartar) from your teeth using an ultrasonic tip. Our chairs are brand new, and our state-of-the-art equipment utilises the latest in German technology that is not only gentle but also can be adjusted for enhanced patient comfort. Ultrasonics require water spray which some patients find uncomfortable, so we use effective highspeed suction to remove it. We also use fine hand scalers to delicately remove calculus from hard to reach places between teeth.
- Polish: using a soft rubber rotating cup and polish we remove most superficial stains caused by food and drinks such as coffee.
- Fluoride: we then apply a fluoride foam to strengthen your teeth and make them less susceptible to decay.
After we’ve completed your check-up and clean, we get you out of the dental chair and into an upright one for a chat. Using the radiographs or photos taken we let you know how things are going. If there is any decay or infection found that needs further treatment, we will discuss all options with you before providing you with a written treatment plan that includes clear costing. You can then decide in your own time how you would like to proceed.
At Cronulla Beach Dental our goal is to forge strong, trusting relationships with our patients and keep you healthy and happy. We look forward to seeing you for your next check-up and clean soon.